Caring for your new tattoo is simple. You will have a bandage on your new tattoo when you leave our studio. Leave this bandage on for 2-10 hours. When you get somewhere clean, (home, hotel, etc.) take off the bandage and wash your tattoo gently but thoroughly with hot water and fragrance-free, liquid antibacterial soap. We suggest Dial or Softsoap. Use your fingertips to wash away any excess ink, ointment, plasma. Do NOT wash your fresh tattoo in a public restroom. Do NOT use a washcloth, loofah, etc. Pat the tattoo dry with a clean paper towel, or let it air dry.
For the first 7 days, wash your tattoo in this manner every 3-4 hours.
After the first 24 hours, we suggest applying a thin layer of Griffin Salve (available at our shop) to your freshly washed tattoo. Be sure your hands are clean and that you are not contaminating your Griffin Salve or your fresh tattoo.
If you do not wish to use Griffin Salve, you may use a THIN layer of plain, white, non-scented lotion (like Jergens or Lubriderm,) but must wait at least 72 hours before applying white lotion. (Griffin Salve is way better anyways. seriously.)
NO A&D ointment, NO Neosporin, NO Bacitracin, NO Triple Antibiotic Ointment, NO Vaseline or petroleum jelly on your fresh tattoo.
Points to Remember
- Your new tattoo is an OPEN WOUND for the first 2-7 days and should be treated as such. Do not touch it, and don't let anyone else touch it.
- After 3-7 days, your tattoo may look dry/itch/scad. Remember, frequent washing and consistent use of Griffin Salve will help to prevent scabbing. DO NOT SCRATCH OR PICK AT IT!
- You may shower as usual, but be sure to wash your tattoo last, as residue from shampoo/conditioner, etc., can irritate a new tattoo.
- DO NOT SOAK/SUBMERGE your new tattoo. You may get it wet to wash it, but no baths, swimming, pools, hot tubs, etc.
- Avoid clothing/accessories that may cause friction or pressure on your new tattoo. If your clothes are sticking to your tattoo, they are too tight.
- Be sure to wear only fresh, clean clothes over your new tattoo. Unwashed clothing can harbor bacteria, which could lead to an infection.
- Keep your tattoo out of the sun/tanning lights while it is healing. Once it is healed, ALWAYS protect it from the sun/tanning lights with a high SPF (50 or higher) sunscreen.
Please keep in mind these are only suggestions, not recommendations and that your particular artist may differ in specifics for your aftercare treatment.
Don't ever hesitate to contact us: